Our Primary Community is designed for children ages 2½ through 6, encompassing what is traditionally referred to as preschool and kindergarten. Young children (birth to six) possess the greatest ability to learn than any other time in their lives. This innate ability to absorb information from the environment is what Maria Montessori referred to as “The Absorbent Mind.” A child-centered, prepared environment best enables a young child to maximize this learning potential. Purposefully designed and beautiful materials draw the child in and allow them to explore and make discoveries during specific sensitive periods for learning. The Montessori Method encourages self-directed learning that promotes independence, concentration, self-confidence, and critical thinking, while fostering social-emotional growth. The scientifically proven Montessori approach at Around the Sun makes the most of these critical early learning years.
In the classroom you will see…
- A large, open space bathed in natural light
- A beautifully prepared environment that promotes independence with child-sized furniture and natural, aesthetically pleasing materials
- A community that fosters cooperation, not competition
- Children working independently or in small groups at tables or on work rugs, with freedom of movement within the classroom
- A low student to teacher ratio of 9:1
- Trained teachers with undergraduate degrees in Education as well as MACTE Accredited Montessori Certification